Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine Cookie recipe and a little treat

I found these cute heart bottles at Craftwarehouse in Portland. I filled them with Jelly Belly's and made a quick nestie heart tag. The sentiment is from a retired SU! word set. Added a few red pearls and all done! I made these for my friends at work!

I am on a sugar buzz!

I did my own sugar cookie taste test this year...I made cream cheese cookies, orange juice flavored sugar cookies and a powdered sugar recipe...my old standard Betty Crocker recipe won over both the others...although when you smother them with frosting they sort of all taste the same LOL! Here's my favorite recipe from the Betty Crockers Cooky Book.

Mary's Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 sifted powdered sugar (I'm too lazy to sift LOL)
1 cup butter or margarine
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond flavoring (sometimes I use all vanilla)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar

Mix sugar and butter. Add egg and flavorings, mix thoroughly. Measure flour by dipping method or by sifting. Stir dry ingredients together and blend in. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours (or overnight) to chill quicker separate dough into thirds, flatten and wrap with plastic wrap.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Roll 3/16" thick, on lightly floured pastry cloth. Cut with cutters. Place on lightly greased baking sheet (I use my silpat non stick mat and do not grease). Bake 7 or 8 minutes.

Frost with your favorite frosting. I use the buttercream recipe from Wilton.

Frosting

1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup shortening(Crisco)
1 lb powdered sugar (4 cups)
1 tsp vanilla (clear if you want a crisp clear color)

add a small amount of hot water to the frosting mixture to get desire consistency. Maybe a tablespoon or two.

My frosting of preference this year was a cookie dipped in melted almond bark. I then colored some of the bark with pink paste coloring and sort of splattered it over the cookie with a fork...these are yummy! Very quick and easy!

Pin It!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

yes Sue's cookies were wonderful - I used her recipe and my family loved them - my sweetie ate 9 (the whole amount left on the plate) while I was at work!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness those cookies look yummy! I haven't made sugar cookies in forever! I lost my old favorite cream cheese recipe - maybe I should give yours a try!

Jami

Curt in Indy said...

Love that little bottle and how you decorated it. I'm not kidding, I litterally was drooling looking at those cookies. Now I have to go to the store! LOL Thanks for sharing the recipe! Best, Curt

Allison Rankin said...

Those cookies look awesome...I avoid making these since I am too lazy to bother with the frosting. Fun altered bottle...esp. the contents!

Elena said...

Your cookies look so good! Thank you for shating the recipe, Sue!
Love the bottle heart and a tag!

Nettie said...

I should have made my rounds to your blog sooner I just love all your Valentine treats and goodies. Those cookies look so yummy.

Nettie

Anonymous said...

OMG! I really am craving a cookie with LOTS of frosting now!! Ohhhh...seriously, do you take orders? :)

Kristin said...

very cute vday gifts! and yummy looking cookies! Seeing these AFTER Valentines Day doesn't make me feel stressed out about why I am not doing something cute as well :) This way I get to just enjoy looking and think, 'maybe next year!' :) Kristin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...